25 August 2008

Gone Astray

I haven't been posting much lately.

It's not because I don't have things to say--I do; lots, in fact--it's just that I feel like I'm drawing too much on what's outside for my inspiration. Or, to put it more clearly, I'm immersing myself in cultural and social issues that aren't my own. This isn't in itself a bad thing, as a little cross-cultural understanding (or attempts at it) can do a lot of good, and since racism, sexism, mountaineering and the environment (yeah, yeah: one of these things is not like the others) are important anywhere. That said, I don't think I should be diving head first into how these things look in the States without a clear understanding of how they function up here.

The more I read about the current climate and political situation in the US, the more it feels alien to me and the ways in which I think. I want to figure out if this disconnect is happening because I'm a weirdo (highly likely, but not necessarily the answer), or because it doesn't reflect my reality in Canada (which I suspect is largely the case).

And so, it's back to the drawing board for me. I value a lot of what the American bloggers I read have to say on issues I care about (and those that maybe only they do), and I will continue reading them, but I need to step back, and maybe step inside myself a little.

Time to plug myself into what's going on up here in the Great White North, and to what matters most to me, mine, and the world that I live in (on the neighbourhood-city-country scale; I'll get back to dealing in depth with the rest of the continent when I've gotten that straight).

No comments: